Further to my previous post on combining 2 columns into one column I’ve had to do some further work on this by now combining a number of unknown columns into one unique column and then sorting the result.
I’ve been able to achieve this and will demonstrate one way in how I’ve been able to get it to work. Let’s use a working example to show how it works.
First, we’ll acquaint ourselves with the old method of using this formula, which in this case would be the following for the following three columns (column
A will be our results column):
Unfortunately the problem with this method is that is requires us to enter in the
join(delimiter,range) function for each new column, and I want the function to be able to concatenate all cells in a range of columns.
Our first remedy at finding a solution avails itself when using the
ArrayFormula function. As this function will loop through each of the cells in your array (being a range of cells) and will output each cell according to the way you define the function inside.
As an example, if we were to apply the following formula in cell A1 we would get the following:
As you can see what happens in the above function is that the
ArrayFormula goes through my range
B:D (being everything in columns B to D) and once it finds a cell that contains something (a string length greater than 0) it then gets that result and appends a semi-colon to it – this is denoted with the true statement in the
if statement by
Now we simply merge the two formulas together, in essence replacing the
join section of our previous formula with the
ArrayFormula above, producing:
Lastly, if we wanted to sort the result of this output we would finally wrap the resulting formula in the
sort function, where we would have everything sorted from A to Z:
Of course if I didn’t know how many columns I would be expecting in this sheet I would amend the last column name to a much large letter, eg.
However, do be aware processing time will increase with the more data columns you add.
In a previous post I explored how to ignore blank cells when using the QUERY function in Google Sheets, which had its own distinct way of removing blank cells from the data capture. But how do...
A recent project hit a roadblock when I changed some code depending on the N/search module and refactored it to use N/query module. While I had some initial hassles with accepting the Beta nature of...